Friday, December 17, 2010

Merry Christmas

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of year. I love gift giving, spending time with family, the magic of the season. But recently, I have become aware of the fact that Christmas is so much more than that. Ever since I was little, I have been told the story of Christmas - Jesus being born into this world as a helpless baby who would someday save the world. However, the true reason we celebrate still slips so easily from my grasp. This year, I want to celebrate filled with the joy I have in Jesus, my Savior. In Luke 2:11, an angel rejoicing at Jesus' birth declares, "Fear not: Behold I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people, unto you is born this day a Savior which is Christ the Lord." In Jesus, my fear is transformed into faith. He fills my heart with indescribable joy. It is a joy that does not come from giving presents or decorating a tree or baking cookies. It is so much more than that. It is the reason why I want my Christmas this year to be a time of rejoicing in the gift of life through Jesus and a time to give from the overflow of joy He has given me. My prayer this Christmas is that you may have that same precious joy that came in the form of a tiny baby two thousand Decembers ago. Merry Christmas.




No comments: